Friday 15 November 2013

Lanterns galore

After the class I asked to be dropped off at Kad Suan Kaew, a shopping centre just outside the northwest corner of the old city. It was not as upmarket as those in say Bangkok, or Kuala Lumpur, and was a bit forlorn in sections. Possibly due to relative income levels. The street traders just outside the complex seemed to be doing the best. The supermarket was well stocked though and even had a cafeteria. I didn't need dinner after grazing all day on my own cooking so I bought a tray of apple and guava quarters and ate half of them on the spot. A sundae at Swensens was cheap so I had one.


I walked back to the old city. It was hard to cross the roads due to traffic. Obviously foot traffic isn't encouraged and people go around in cars, motorbikes (very common), tuk tuks or songthaews.

The old city is square and surrounded by a canal, smelling of carp. There are only a handful of canal crossings between the outer and inner ring roads. I entered the old city and took a north south artery to the west of the hostel but walked too far south before turning east. But even mistakes have a silver lining and I walked past Wat Inthakin, gloriously lit up for the weekend festivals.

There are literally hundreds of wats in and around Chiang Mai. I didn't visit any of them though. Religious buildings and statues are not my thing, even if it's the Buddha.


I was next to the Three Kings Monument again and Yi Peng lanterns were being released. Here's one that's not plain white.


Across the street was a hall of lanterns and people were busily taking pictures in the multicoloured lights.


A whole spectrum of colours was presented.


Some that were not part of the hall.


A structure with a lantern show of photos, possibly of the king.

And that was the end of my nocturnal perambulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment